Assured shorthold residential tenancy agreement

Written with our partners at:Wilkes logo

What’s an assured shorthold residential tenancy agreement and when do you need one?

A tenancy agreement is the contract between yourself and your tenant and sets out all the terms of the tenancy. Use this agreement where you’re agreeing a shorthold rental of property in, or part of a property with a tenant who is going to use the property to live in (not work as a business).

This template is drafted to create an assured shorthold tenancy under the Housing Act 1988. These are the most common types of tenancy in the UK, carrying limited security of tenure (i.e. rights to occupy) for tenants. It’s where you have a property owned by a private landlord (or housing association), who doesn’t live in the property and the property is the tenant’s main address.

There is no minimum length of occupancy required for this kind of tenancy arrangement. Landlords can terminate it by:

• sending the tenant what’s called a Section 21 Notice, which provides, in practice, a 2-month notice period, or • relying on a Section 8 Notice, which enables a termination at any time, on 14 days’ notice, if the tenant has broken the terms of the tenancy.